Sunday, November 4, 2012

Upcycling Sunday!

Upcycling, def. the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value.
I think this week was 'a first' in a while ... I did not Freecycle or gift away a single thing. Nothing!

But - we did do some at home upcycling; re-purposing items we already, had for a new use.

First, The Little Guy's Halloween costume.



When he told me he wanted to make his costume this year, I thought that sounded like fun, so when the second request to be a bat came in, I took to the internet to find a pattern or a tutorial. I found one that looked simple enough, and which used a black umbrella. So off to Freecycle I went, and found an old broken one! Then I had a rummage through our hand me down bin of clothes and found a long sleeved black t-shirt that would fit The Little Guy - perfect! The black hat was one I had bought on sale at the end of last season (I think I spent $2 on it) and the black felt for the ears was $0.79 from my local craft store!! So, $2.79 on an entire costume ... and we had the fun experience of making it? Priceless! 

Here is the link to the tutorial I used, I just took at all of the umbrella spokes (for safety ... 4 year old boys and spokes are not a good combination).

And staying with our Halloween Upcycling theme, we made these adorable little ghosties from an old net curtain I had in my fabric box and some old batting that had seen better days.

The Little Guy decorating one of the pieces of netting

So simple, we put these together while we were waiting for all our Halloween Treating cookies to bake :-)

Then we hung them around our front porch, to make the house "a little bit more spooky" to quote The Little Guy.


 And what about you? What are you Upcycling this week? Feel free to share in comments; I'd love to hear from you!