Friday, July 3, 2015

A Salad for the Summer

To be honest, I often have a hard time shifting culinary gears when the seasons change. The soups and stews which are our mainstay during the cooler winter months, just don't feel as nourishing during the hot and humid summers of Virginia.


My go-to summer meal is a big salad, but the three kiddo's ... and My Good Man (if we're being honest!) are not fans.  But I've think I've discovered my new quick and easy, summer supper - Confetti Salad. 


The fab thing about this dish is that it lends itself to substitutions and using what you have on hand. And it's delicious. And quick. And delicious!


Confetti Salad
(Makes four hearty servings)

Approximately 2-3 cups of cooked grain, such as quinoa, bulgar wheat, rice, couscous, amaranth etc

Veggies of your choice. 
Current favorites are cucumbers, broccoli, bell peppers, raw shredded spinach and red onion. I prefer my vegetables for salads to be fairly finely chopped, about half an inch. 

A few luxury add ons. 
A small handful of something to add a bit of pizazz, like chopped green olives, pistachios, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries or feta cheese. 

Salad dressing. 
1/4 cup or so of your favorite dressing. This almost deserves a post all on its own; I love making salad dressings, although I rarely follow a recipe. Which can make it tricky to reucate a particularly good batch!
My current favorite is a Greek-inspired salad dressing with EVOO, lemon juice, a splash of maple syrup, garlic, salt pepper and oregano. It's fabulous!

Method

Mix everything together well in a large bowl, then let sit in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. 

That's it! Couldn't be easier, and I love how versatile this is. 

Enjoy!