Friday, May 17, 2013

Food Waste Friday: Adventures in Avocados

FoodWasteFriday


I just love The Frugal Girl blog. Really - just love!

Each week (well - most weeks) she blogs about her food waste, a kind of public declaration, aimed to reduce her own food waste. And she invites the rest of us to join her!

After my usual Thursday afternoon rummage through the fridge, cleaning everything up, and trolling for food waste, I found an avocado for the bin. Which made me really sad.

Avocados are fairly expensive, and one of our favorite foods to boot. It is rare for an avocado to get wasted.

So I duely take a photo of my avocado to post here ...


 But taking a photo of my avocado like that doesn't do it justice; so I cut it open to show the yucky-ness of the gone off avocado ...


And it's perfect! Save! Needless to say, I am really glad I cut the avocado open!

I also had a really great Food Waste save. I had a couple of portions of oatmeal that had been forgotten, and several jars of fruit butter (homemade pumpkin, apple and peach) plus some homemade apple sauce. All of the jars had been languishing in the fridge for an extra week or two, and I really wanted to use them up before they went bad. I used this recipe, which I have found to be incredibly forgiving to changes. I substituted all of the butter for my apple sauce/fruit butter concoction, forgo-ed the vanilla, and added chocolate chips rather than raisins. Delish!

So, all this means that I am four for four! Four zero Food Waste weeks in a row! Woo hoo!!


How about you? How was your food waste this week? Feel free to share; I'd love to hear from you!