Monday, May 13, 2013

Menu Planning

Menu Planning is one of those household chores that I don't really look forward to doing ... but I loathe not having done it (rather like unloading the dishwasher!)

I am always surprised at both how easy having a menu plan in place makes meal prep for the week, and conversely, how difficult meals are without one.

So, it is Sunday afternoon as I am writing this, my usual time to sit down with pencil and paper, and my schedule for the week, and plan my meals for the coming seven days.

A couple of quick asides; I follow a gluten- and dairy-free diet, and we are a vegetarian family, although we do eat eggs and fish. The rest of my family does eat gluten and dairy, but I tend not to base meals on either of those things, making it easier for me to avoid them.

Monday
     White Bean and Sweet Potato Stew, with Kale (cooked in the crock pot)

Tuesday
     Egg salad with salad (romaine lettuce and watercress, and cucumbers)

Wednesday
     Quinoa, baked fish, carrot salad

Thursday
     Corn pasta and home made pasta sauce

Friday
     Pot luck supper with friends (I will probably take a salad)

Saturday
     Open face burritos, with pinto beans and brown rice, avocado, salsa and lettuce

Sunday
     Baked tofu, with mushroom amaranth and green salad

I have had a couple of really successful, zero Food Waste weeks, which I think in part is due to me writing out a realistic menu plan each week, and partly because I have recently adopted a totally different grocery shopping method. I'll write more about that later this week!


What is on your menu plan this week? Are you doing anything in particular to help prevent Food Waste? Feel free to share, or post a link back to your own blog post; or join us over at Organizing Junkie, for her Menu Plan Monday blog link-up.